Chertsey Bowling Club

Chertsey Bowling Club History

History of Club

Chertsey Bowling Club was founded in 1899 and was originally located at the Chertsey Abbeyfields sports ground in Staines Lane, Chertsey.

The club moved to the Chertsey Recreation ground approximately 40 years ago, where it can still be found today.  

Richard Moir, Councillor, present a drinking fountain to the Club in 1899 which was relocated to the Club's new ground.

In 1972 Gwen and Ray Cox became founder members of Chertsey Winemakers Bowling Club and shared the green with the Chertsey town Club.  Gwen became a competent bowler and built up Chertsey Curfew Ladies Club and encouraged new members to join and improve their skills.  Under her 'dragon-like' eye, the Ladies club became formidable opponents.  Gwen created history for Chertsey Curfew Ladies Bowls Club by becoming their first finalist in the Surrey Bowls Championships.  She fought her way through seven rounds to get to the final of the badged four-wood singles but was beaten 21-12 by Pearl Selwyn
in the final.





The Club celebrated its Centenary in 2010 with a special bowls match against the Chelsea Pensioners.  The Pensioners turned out in their bright red regalia before changing into their whites.  It was a good game, which Chertsey won.  Everyone at the club thought it was a fitting way to mark 100 years of bowls in Chertsey.